Sunday, August 1, 2010

World Breastfeeding Week

Today marks the beginning of World Breastfeeding Week!

You know what I'm doing to celebrate? Weaning my baby. Ha! That's right - I'm sticking it to the (breastfeeding wo)man!

Remember back when I discussed my breastfeeding issues? In a nutshell, my daughter didn't latch on properly to begin with (because of her own in utero, self-soothing, tongue sucking habit) which led to a low supply for me, which never got better, despite all and every attempt. So, from early on we've supplemented with formula (through a bottle) and I knew that one day she'd reject the breast and only want the bottle. I've mentally and emotionally prepared myself for this for a long time, and obviously wanted to prolong the breastfeeding as much as possible.

About a week ago she started refusing the breast during the day. I tried, but there was crying, screaming, general freaking out. This has continued for a week, and now she only nurses at night, and those feedings are getting shorter and shorter. I don't know if she's getting impatient or I'm just not producing as much (likely) or fast enough for her, or what... but our nursing days are clearly about to end.

But you know what? Today she turned 3 months. That was a goal I wanted to reach in our breastfeeding relationship, and we did it. And I'm so, so thankful.

And even though everyone knows, or thinks, breastfeeding is best, I have been so humbled by this experience. I know that it doesn't always work out, and there's nothing wrong with bottle and formula feeding.

There is so much pressure (especially in this area) to breastfeed, that I feel there's no room for anyone else. One socializing option Ruby and I had was to go to breastfeeding clinics and groups around here, and I decided not to, because I feel like people might judge me. I hope I'm wrong, and I considered going, but right when I did is when Ruby started to prefer the bottle (I don't know if I'd consider this weaning, or baby-led weaning or what?). So I've gone to other groups instead.

Anyway, whether you breastfeed or formula feed, good for you for giving your baby whatever nourishment that baby needs - that's all the matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment