Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cloth Diapers

Besides our sweet baby girl (7 weeks old now!), all I seem to sleep, eat and dream is Cloth Diapers.
 
I've mentioned in the past that we planned on cloth diapering this baby. After doing a ton of research online - more specifically on the Eco-Friendly Family message board of my favorite site, thebump.com - I decided to go with a cloth diapering trial through Jillian's Drawers. This trial included a variety of cloth diapering options, from prefolds to All In Ones. Most peoples' advice was to try this trial and see what works for my little one, since all babies are different.

Well, we've just finished the trial and it was so informative! The diapers I thought I'd end up loving and buying large amounts of are not, in fact, the diapers I'm in the process of buying for my permanent stash. And finally purchasing diapers... well, it's such an involved process, finding the best deals and best diapers for my girl... what to commit to since it's really an investment, one that we hope will live on for the next one or two babies as well!

Personally, I thought prefolds were a pain in the ass. I thought I'd love them. I wanted to love them. But I apparently have an inability to properly handle the snappi and I just didn't love them.

Now that I am building my permanent cloth diaper stash I find I'm going for fitted diapers with covers and pocket diapers, and a couple BumGenius AIO (all in one) Organics, because AIOs are so easy and these came highly recommended by many Bumpers.

Another thing we've decided on is that all the diapers we're buying are One Size (OS), so they all "grow" with the baby (click here to see an example of a diaper that "grows" using snaps). I like this idea of using a diaper for (practically) her whole cloth diapering career, than having to switch to different sizes. I don't mind the bulkiness that this causes, and more importantly, Ruby doesn't seem to mind, either. 

I was also in the process of buying some BumGenius 3.0 pocket diapers, taking advantage of their awesome buy 5 get 1 free coupon, when they just announced the 3.0s will be discontinued and replaced with a new product, to be announced next week. I decided to still buy the 5 (and get 1 free) in case the new product isn't up my alley. Can't wait to find out what it is!

Now that I'm truly building my cloth diaper stash, I'm starting to use them more and more. During the trial I would go back and forth between the CDs (cloth diapers) and the disposables, because of having to do laundry, and fearing nighttime leaks.

But soon I'll be CDing 24/7, and will report back on how it's going!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Just found out we're expecting our first- and plan to CD. I'm still very new to all the lingo and details, so I appreciate your opinion! I've got 2 girlfriends who use BumGenius 3.0 AIO and highly recommend that- but I think I will give that trial a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your baby AND the cloth diapering, Andrea! It's great. I'm becoming a huge fan of pocket diapers, since you can adjust them according to your little one. And they dry a lot faster (which I never thought was going to be a big deal, but it is!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post! I'm due any day now and we're going to be CDing. A friend of mine made one dozen AIO diapers and I have a dozen prefolds to start. I too will be doing the trial period to see which works best for us. My two year old son has already diapered his stuffed animals with the prefolds and snappis. So funny. Thanks again, for this great info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - CDing is so great, I just love it. It's so silly but it makes changing diapers way more enjoyable! Good luck and congrats on your upcoming new baby!

    ReplyDelete