Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Green Garlic??

Speaking of CSA's (see previous post)...
today I got some "Green Garlic" from Mountain View Farm.

Not knowing much about this stuff, I referred to my Mountain View Farm newsletter. Here's what it said:  
"Also known as fresh garlic, this seasonal treat is only available for a few weeks. Before you can store garlic, it must be cured, or dried. We do this by hanging it in a barn or a greenhouse where it can have the proper temperature and ventilation. Garlic that hasn't been cured is known as green garlic. Green garlic must be refrigerated until used. It has a much milder flavor than storage garlic. You can use your green garlic the same way you would use garlic that has been dried. Check out the recipe below or epicurious for more ideas."

Epicurious is fine, but I wanted real experience. So I went onto a EFF (Eco-Friendly Family) message board, asking if anyone had any experience with this.

No one knew what I was talking about!

People kept thinking I was talking about garlic scapes (my new love of the season! Here's an education AND the awesome garlic scape pesto recipe I've made a zillion batches of and froze!), but it's not the same thing.

Here's garlic scapes:
and here's green garlic (or "fresh garlic"):
So, what about you? Do you have any experience with "green" or "fresh" garlic? What the heck do you do with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment